Enjoy this special occasion cake, with lower saturated fat and calories!
PREP TIME :
- 2¼ C cake flour
- 2¼ tsp baking powder
- 4 Tbsp margarine
- 1¼ C sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp orange peel
- ¾ C low-fat
- (1 percent) or fat-free milk
- 3 oz low-fat cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp low-fat (1 percent) or fat-free milk
- 6 Tbsp cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 2 C sifted confectioners’ sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 °F.
- Prepare the pan: Grease with a small amount of cooking oil, or use nonstick cooking spray, a 10-inch round pan (at least 2½ inches deep). Powder pan with flour. Tap out excess flour.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the cake flour and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the margarine and sugar until soft and creamy.
- Beat in eggs, vanilla, and orange peel.
- Gradually add the flour mixture alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with flour.
- Pour the mixture into the pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cake cool for 5 to 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Let cool completely before icing.
- To prepare icing: Cream together cream cheese and milk until smooth. Add cocoa powder. Blend well.
- Slowly add confectioners’ sugar and mix until icing is smooth. Mix in vanilla.
- Smooth icing over top and sides of cooled cake.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 241, Total fat 5 g, Saturated fat 2 g, Cholesterol 57 mg, Sodium 273 mg, Calcium 70 mg, Iron 2 mg
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.