Apple Cranberry Holiday Stuffing with Arctic Apples
Try this twist on a holiday favorite!
PREP TIME :
- 10 cups sourdough bread about one loaf, cubed
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 ribs celery
- ½ yellow onion
- 1 large Arctic® Granny or Arctic® Golden apple, or 8 ounces of fresh slices
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 ½ cups low sodium vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh sage chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- nonstick cooking spray
- If using a fresh loaf of sourdough bread, cube or tear into small pieces the evening before. Arrange on a baking sheet and allow to stale overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare a large casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray or oil.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Prepare the celery by slicing down the middle of each rib, then chopping into a small dice. Dice the onion, then add both to the skillet with the butter. Season with salt and pepper and allow to cook until translucent and fragrant, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the fresh herbs and add to a large mixing bowl with the sourdough bread. Dice the apple, then add to the mixing bowl along with the fresh cranberries. Pour half of the vegetable stock over the mixture and fold together to combine.
- Whisk the eggs into the remaining vegetable stock. When the onion-celery mixture is ready, add to the mixing bowl. Fold to combine, then pour the remaining liquid over the top.
- Transfer to the prepared casserole dish and spread in an even layer. Top with additional herbs if desired, and season lightly with salt and pepper. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the foil and return to the oven to bake 10 to 15 minutes more, or until the top begins to brown. Allow to cool slightly before serving, and garnish with additional herbs if desired. Serve immediately, or hold warm until ready to serve.
Nutrition (per serving):
Total Fat 3 g 5%
Saturated Fat 1 g 5%
Sodium 74 mg 3%
Dietary Fiber 3 g 12%