Asparagus with Parmesan
Now, at peak time for asparagus, enjoy this unique, bright green veggie. Asparagus is a good source of folate, fiber, and vitamin K, a nutrient involved in bone metabolism and blood clotting.
PREP TIME :
- 1 lb. medium sized asparagus, rinsed and trimmed
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 4 tsp. unbleached all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup fat free milk
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- Steam the asparagus until just tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a cold saucepan, blend canola oil with flour using a wire whisk. Slowly whisk in the milk and heat the sauce over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add onion powder, salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue to stir until thickened, about 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in the cheese. Pour hot cheese sauce over asparagus and serve immediately.
Nutrition (per serving):
79 calories, 3 g total fat (<1 g saturated fat), 9 g carbohydrate, 5 g protein, 3 g dietary fiber, 60 mg sodium.