Baby Greens with Blackberry Vinaigrette
This elegant salad is a blend of spinach, arugula and other baby greens. These dark, leafy greens are good sources of fiber, folate and a range of cancer-protective carotenoids.
PREP TIME :
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blackberries (defrost if frozen)
- 2 tsp. coarsely chopped shallots
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. agave syrup
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon-style mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups lightly packed mesclun salad mix
- 2 slices (3/4-in.) reduced-fat fresh goat cheese or 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 6-8 whole blackberries, for garnish
- Place all dressing ingredients in bullet-style blender or mini food processor and whirl until dressing is creamy and smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let dressing stand in refrigerator for up to 24 hours before using. Makes 1/2 cup dressing.
- Divide greens between 2 salad plates. If using cheese, set a slice in center on top of greens, then drizzle 2 tablespoons of Blackberry Vinaigrette over salad before serving. Or, drizzle on dressing, then sprinkle walnuts on top.
- Garnish with 3 or 4 whole blackberries. Reserve remaining dressing for another use. It keeps covered in refrigerator for 3 days.