Bean and Macaroni Soup
Beans and veggies make this soup hearty and healthy!
PREP TIME :
- 2 cans (16 oz each) great northern beans
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 C onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 C carrots, sliced
- 1 C celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 C cut-up peeled fresh tomatoes, or 1 ½ lb canned whole tomatoes cut up (canned tomatoes will increase sodium content)
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 4 C cooked elbow macaroni
- Drain beans and reserve liquid. Rinse beans.
- Heat oil in a 6-quart kettle; add mushrooms, onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sage, thyme, oregano, pepper, and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, cook macaroni according to package directions, using unsalted water. Drain when cooked. Do not overcook.
- Combine reserved bean liquid with water to make 4 cups.
- Add liquid, beans, and cooked macaroni to vegetable mixture.
- Bring to a boil; cover and simmer until soup is throughly heated. Stir occasionally.
- Serve warm.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 158, Total fat 1 g, Saturated fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 154 mg
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.