An easy-to-make, tasty version of this classic Cajun stew.
PREP TIME :
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- ¼ C flour
- 3 C low-sodium chicken broth
- 1½ lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 C white potatoes (½ lb), cubed
- 1 C onion, chopped
- 1 C carrots (½ lb), coarsely chopped
- ¼ C celery, chopped
- ½ medium carrot, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 stalks scallion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp hot pepper (Jalapeno)
- 1 C okra (½ lb), sliced into ½-inch pieces
- Add oil to a large pot, over medium heat.
- Stir in flour. Cook, stirring constantly, until flour begins to turn golden brown.
- Slowly add the chicken broth, stirring constantly with a whisk, and cook for 2 minutes. The mixture should not be lumpy.
- Add all ingredients except okra. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add okra, and let cook for 15 to 20 more minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve hot in a bowl or over rice.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 165, Total fat 4 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 51 mg, Sodium 81 mg
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.