Cider-Glazed Sweet Potatoes with Pecan and Coconut Topping
Sweet potatoes rich in beta-carotene are also high in fiber that can slow absorption of carbohydrates and help reduce sugar surges after meals. Aromatic pumpkin spice is a convenient combination of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and cloves – a must-have in your pantry.
PREP TIME :
- 2 large sweet potatoes (2 lbs.), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (6 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- 2 Tbsp. packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. pumpkin spice
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup toasted coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted sweetened coconut flakes
- In large pot of boiling water, cook sweet potatoes 10 minutes. Drain in colander and set aside.
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, combine cider, sugar, butter, spice and salt. Bring to boil, stirring often.
- Add potatoes and reduce heat so liquid is simmering. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cranberries and continue cooking until liquid is reduced to syrupy glaze and potatoes are tender, about 10 – 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. If glaze becomes thick before potatoes become tender, thin with small amount of cider.
- When potatoes are desired tenderness, transfer to serving dish.
- Sprinkle with pecans and coconut and serve.
Nutrition (per serving):
200 calories, 6 g total fat (2 g saturated fat), 35 g carbohydrate, 2 g protein, 4 g dietary fiber, 100 mg sodium.