Using low-fat milk instead of cream lowers the saturated fat content in this hearty
PREP TIME :
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp finely diced celery
- 2 Tbsp finely diced onion
- 2 Tbsp finely diced green pepper
- 1 package (10 oz) frozen whole- kernel corn
- 1 C peeled, diced, raw potatoes, cut into ½-inch squares
- 1 C water
- ¼ tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 2 C low-fat (1 percent) or skim milk, divided
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a medium-sized sauté pan.
- Add celery, onion, and green pepper and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add corn, potatoes, water, salt, pepper, and paprika. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium; and cook, covered, for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Place ½ cup milk in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Add flour, close lid, and shake vigorously.
- Add mixture gradually to cooked vegetables, and then add remaining milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Serve garnished with chopped fresh parsley.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 186, Total fat 5 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 5 mg, Sodium 205 mg
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.