Country Potato Salad
It’s almost Independence Day and that means red, white, blue and barbecue. But just because the grill is the star, doesn’t mean the side dishes can’t shine. These country potatoes can be whipped up the day before and require no mayonnaise.
PREP TIME :
- 4 large red potatoes, washed and unpeeled
- 1 dill pickle, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped, including stems
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped (1 tsp. dried may be substituted)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped (1 tsp. dried may be substituted)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped (1 tsp. dried may be substituted)
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar (red wine vinegar may be substituted)
- 1 tsp. dried dill
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar (red wine vinegar may be substituted)
- 1/2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Paprika (garnish with a sprinkle before serving)
- In large pot cover unpeeled potatoes with water. Cover pot and bring to boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, keep covered, and simmer until tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain water. Refill pot with cold water to allow potatoes to cool. Once cool cut potatoes into cubes.
- Place cubed potatoes in large bowl and toss gently with pickle, scallions, celery, herbs, vinegar, dill, paprika, salt and pepper.
- In small mixing bowl whisk dressing ingredients together. Pour over potato mixture and gently toss again to coat well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Sprinkle paprika over top to garnish and serve.
Nutrition (per serving):
127 calories, 7 g total fat (<1 g saturated fat), 15 g carbohydrate,
2 g protein, 2 g dietary fiber, 130 mg sodium.