Fennel and Mushroom Soup
This easy soup features fennel, a root vegetable that’s rich in fiber, vitamin C, and other nutrients. A member of the carrot and parsley family, fennel has a mild licorice flavor, but is sweeter and more aromatic.
PREP TIME :
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive or canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 2 small white potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium celery stalk, split and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 medium bulb fennel, chopped
- 2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms, including stems
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
- In pot or saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, red pepper, potatoes, celery and garlic. Sauté 5 minutes, stirring often. Add fennel and sauté 6 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add basil and lemon pepper. Stir. Add broth, vinegar and salt to taste. Reduce heat and simmer for about 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle into bowls. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Nutrition (per serving):
216 calories, 9 g total fat (1 g saturated fat),
30 g carbohydrate, 9 g protein, 5 g dietary fiber, 119 mg sodium.