Golden Quick Barley with Sweet Peas and Corn
Quick cooking barley pairs well with frozen sweet green peas and corn. Barley is a whole grain that’s rich in soluble fiber, beneficial for controlling blood sugar, cholesterol and weight.
PREP TIME :
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup quick pearled barley
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground turmeric
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen sweet peas
- 1/2 cup frozen sweet corn
- Juice of 1/4 fresh lemon (about 1 Tbsp.)
- 1-2 Tbsp. shredded Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese, optional
- In 2-quart medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion until softened, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds. Add barley and stir 1 minute to toast.
- Add broth, Italian seasoning, salt, turmeric and 4-5 grinds pepper. Increase heat to high and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Stir in peas and corn. Cover and simmer 5 minutes. Barley mix should be slightly wet.
- Stir in lemon juice. Sprinkle on or mix in cheese, if using, and serve immediately.
Nutrition (per serving):
223 calories, 5 g total fat (<1 g saturated fat),
40 g carbohydrate, 8 g protein, 7 g dietary fiber, 351 mg sodium.