Mediterranean Bean Salad
Make this summer all about the side dishes with this recipe for a punchy bean salad. A variety of beans provides folate, iron, potassium, selenium and a range of antioxidants.
PREP TIME :
- 1 (15-oz) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-oz) can butter beans, rinsed and drained (cooked fresh beans may be substituted)
- 1 (15-oz) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped fine
- 1 celery stalk, chopped fine
- 2-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2-1 cup fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped fine (1 Tbsp. dried basil may be substituted)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped fine
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. vinegar (either white wine or apple cider work well)
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/2 Tbsp. dried Italian seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In large bowl combine beans. Mix in onion, celery, garlic, parsley, basil and rosemary, adding tomatoes last to keep them from unnecessarily breaking apart.
- In separate mixing bowl whisk together dressing ingredients. Add dressing to beans and toss gently to coat.
- Chill for at least an hour to allow beans to absorb the flavor of the dressing. Re-toss gently and serve.
Nutrition (per serving):
190 calories, 7 g total fat (<1 g saturated fat), 26 g carbohydrate,
9 g protein, 8 g dietary fiber, 228 mg sodium.