Roasted Spiced Chickpeas
Healthy snacks can add important nutrients to your diet and help keep your hunger satisfied between meals. These roasted chickpeas are a great make-ahead option that packs fiber, protein and other beneficial phytonutrients.
PREP TIME :
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas, no salt added or low-sodium, drained
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line jellyroll pan or cookie sheet with baking parchment and set aside.
- In medium mixing bowl, use small whisk to combine cumin, paprika, garlic and onion powders, black pepper, cayenne and salt. Mix in oil, making an oily sludge.
- Lay double layer of paper towels on work surface. Rinse chickpeas in colander. Shake well and spread chickpeas in one layer on paper towels. Blot chickpeas, using another paper towel. Repeat, making sure chickpeas are as dry as possible; they should look dull. Add chickpeas to spice mixture, using your fingers to gently mix and massage until they are evenly coated. Discard any loose skins. Spread coated chickpeas on prepared pan in one layer.
- Bake chickpeas for 24-30 minutes, or until they resemble whole hazelnuts and are firm when you sample one. Turn and roll chickpeas around about every 8 minutes. Cool chickpeas on pan.
Nutrition (per serving):
166 calories, 8.5 g total fat (1 g saturated fat),
18 g carbohydrate, 6 g protein, 5 g dietary fiber, 79 mg sodium.