This salad, originating in the French Riviera, is the perfect light summer entrée with a variety of nutrient-rich plant foods and a little lean protein. Our recipe is close to the traditional, but easier to assemble with options for canned tuna and frozen green beans.
PREP TIME :
- 16 Romaine lettuce leaves, torn into large pieces
- 2 (6 oz.) cans chunk light tuna in water, drained
- 1 1/4 pounds baby potatoes, cooked and halved
- 1 pound trimmed fresh green beans or 1 package frozen green beans, cooked
- 1 Tbsp. capers, rinsed and dried
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed and dried (optional)
- 1/4 cup olives
- 8 very thin slices red onion
- 2 Tbsp. Red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Arrange lettuce leaves to cover a large serving platter. Mound the tuna in the center of the platter and arrange the potato halves in a ring around the tuna.
- Arrange cooked green beans around potatoes and sprinkle capers over potatoes. Alternate the hard boiled eggs, tomato wedges, and anchovies around beans. Sprinkle olives over salad and arrange onions on top.
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar and garlic. Whisk in olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad, making sure to moisten the tuna well.
Nutrition (per serving):
323 calories, 10 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 31 g carbohydrate, 28 g protein, 7 g dietary fiber, 462 mg sodium.