Whole grains, unlike their refined counterpart, contain all the essential parts (and nutrients) of the entire grain seed. They’re rich in dietary fiber, which can lower risk for colorectal cancer. Try them out in this curried stir-fry recipe, using mai fan noodles made with brown rice.
PREP TIME :
- 4 oz. thin brown rice noodles
- 1/2 cup fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-2 Tbsp. curry powder*
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. peanut oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. finely chopped ginger
- 1/4 cup scallions, green part only, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1½ cups napa cabbage cut into thin strips
- 1 cup sliced red onion, cut into thin crescents
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin 1-inch strips
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, cut into thin 1-inch strips
- 2 large eggs, well beaten
- 1/4 lb. small (51-60 count per pound), frozen shrimp, cooked according to package directions
- 1 cup (4 oz.) roasted chicken or turkey breast, shredded into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tsp. roasted sesame oil
- Break noodles in half and soak according to package instructions. Drain noodles in colander, run cold water over them and drain well. Transfer noodles back to bowl.
- While noodles are soaking, in small bowl, combine chicken broth, curry powder, turmeric, salt and sugar. Set aside.
- In medium skillet over high heat, add 1 tablespoon peanut oil. When oil is hot, add garlic, ginger, scallions and stir-fry until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add cabbage, onion, red and green peppers and stir-fry until vegetables are barely crisp-tender, 2 minutes. Add contents of pan to bowl with drained noodles.
- Return pan to heat, reducing it to medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 teaspoon peanut oil to skillet. Add egg and scramble loosely. Add egg to bowl with vegetables and noodles, scraping up any egg sticking to pan.
- Pour broth mixture into skillet, scraping out bowl. Add contents of vegetable and noodle bowl, plus shrimp and chicken to skillet. Stir, lift and chop until all vegetables, shrimp, chicken and egg are distributed through the noodles, 1 to 2 minutes. Drizzle with sesame oil and season with salt to taste. Serve immediately.
Nutrition (per serving):
326 calories, 12 g total fat (2 g saturated fat),
34 g carbohydrate, 22 g protein, 2.5 g dietary fiber, 474 mg sodium.