Zesty Tomato Soup
Not your traditional tomato soup, this quick-cooking dish can be a side or light main meal
PREP TIME :
- 1 can (14½ oz) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 C jarred roasted red peppers, drained (or substitute fresh roasted red peppers; see tip)
- 1 C fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, rinsed and chopped (or 2 tsp dried)
- Combine tomatoes and red peppers in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Put tomato mixture in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add evaporated milk, garlic powder, and pepper. Return to a boil, and gently simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add basil, and serve.
- Optional step: Serve with whole-wheat croutons sprinkled on top (from Broccoli and Cheese).
Tip: To make roasted red peppers, see cooking instructions in Healthy Eating FAQs. Make extra to use in other Keep the Beat™ recipes.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 94, Total fat 0 g, Saturated fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 231 mg, Total fiber 2 g, Protein 5 g, Carbohydrates 16 g, Potassium 234 mg, Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 0%, Iron 2%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.