Asian Style Rice
A crunchy rice dish that’s low on fat and sodium but high on flavor!
PREP TIME :
- 1½ C water
- 1 C chicken stock or broth; skim fat from the top
- 1⅓ C uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1 C finely chopped celery
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped green pepper
- ½ C chopped pecans
- ¼ tsp ground sage
- ½ C sliced water chestnuts
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring water and chicken stock to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Add rice and stir. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Sauté the onion and celery over moderate heat for 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients, including reserved cooked rice.
- Fluff with a fork before serving.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 139, Total fat 5 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 86 mg
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.