Black Beans With Rice
A delicious Caribbean favorite that is cholesterol free and made with very little added fat.
PREP TIME :
5 HOUR 15 MINS
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 7 C water
- 1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1½ C chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 6 C rice, cooked in unsalted water
- 1 jar (4 oz) sliced pimento, drained
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Pick through beans to remove bad beans. Soak beans overnight in cold water. Drain and rinse. In a large soup pot or dutch oven, stir together the beans, water, green pepper, onion, vegetable oil, bay leaves, garlic, and salt. Bring to a boil, cover, and boil for 1 hour.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 3 to 4 hours, or until beans are very tender.
- Stir occasionally and add water if needed (if water level drops below the top of the beans).
- Remove about ⅔ of the beans and set aside. Use a spoon to mash the remaining
- beans against the side of the pot. Return the set-aside beans to the pot, stir, and heat through.
- Remove bay leaves and stir in vinegar or lemon juice when ready to serve.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with sliced pimento and lemon wedges.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 561, Total fat 4 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 193 mg
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.