Brazilian Chicken with Black Beans
Inspired by the traditional feijoada dish from Brazil, this stew substitutes lean chicken for the usual pork and adds extra vegetables and fiber-rich black beans.
PREP TIME :
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil, divided
- 2 lb. skinless chicken thighs with bone or skinless breast with ribs or combination
- 1/2 cup fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1¼ cups chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped scallions, green and white parts
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 (15 oz. cans) black beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 large navel orange, cut in 6 wedges
- In large Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until golden brown, 4 minutes on each side. Using tongs, transfer chicken to large bowl. Cover bowl with foil. Add broth and scrape bottom of pot while it boils, gathering up all browned bits. Add broth to chicken. Seal foil tightly over bowl and set chicken aside. Using paper towel, wipe out pot.
- Return pot to medium-high heat and add remaining oil. Add onion, celery, green pepper and scallions to pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add bay leaves and sprinkle nutmeg over vegetables. Arrange chicken pieces over vegetables, reserving liquid in bowl. Spread beans over the chicken. Pour liquid from bowl over beans. Cover and simmer until chicken thighs are falling-apart tender, 30-35 minutes. If using breast, cook until white in center at thickest part, 20-25 minutes.
- To serve, divide chicken among six dinner plates. Remove bay leaf. Mix to combine beans and vegetables, and season to taste with salt, pepper and cayenne. Spoon two-thirds cup of beans and vegetables alongside chicken and liquid from pot over chicken. Garnish with parsley and orange wedges. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature. Leftovers keep in tightly covered container in refrigerator for 4 days.
Nutrition (per serving):
330 calories, 10 g total fat, (1.5 g saturated fat),
28 g carbohydrates, 32 g protein, 9 g dietary fiber, 180 mg sodium.