Broccoli and Cheese
So good, your children will ask for seconds—and a perfect side for most chicken and beef dishes.
PREP TIME :
- 6 C fresh broccoli, rinsed and cut into bite-sized florets (or substitute 6 C frozen broccoli, thawed and warmed, and skip step 1)
- 1 C fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- ½ C shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp hot sauce
- 1 slice whole-wheat bread, diced and toasted (for croutons)*
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Add fresh broccoli, and cook until easily pierced by a fork, about 7–10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a separate saucepan, combine evaporated milk and cornstarch. Slowly bring to a boil while stirring often.
- When the milk comes to a boil, remove it from the heat and add the cheese. Continue to stir until the cheese is melted and evenly mixed.
- Add the Worcestershire and hot sauces, and stir.
- Pour cheese over hot broccoli.
- Sprinkle whole-wheat croutons over broccoli and cheese mixture, and serve.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 162, Total fat 5 g, Saturated fat 3 g, Cholesterol 15 mg, Sodium 239 mg, Total fiber 4 g, Protein 11 g, Carbohydrates 19 g, Potassium 601 mg, Vitamin A 70%, Vitamin C 170%, Calcium 30%, Iron 8%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.