Broccoli With Asian Tofu
The wonder of tofu is that it takes on the flavor of your favorite marinade
PREP TIME :
- 1 pkg (16 oz) firm tofu, drained
- 2 Tbsp lite soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
- ½ Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger root, finely chopped or shredded (or 1 tsp ground ginger)
- 1 lb fresh broccoli, rinsed and cut into individual spears
- 1 Tbsp peanut oil or vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- 4 Tbsp garlic, peeled and thinly sliced (about 8 cloves)
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- Cooking spray
- Slice tofu into eight pieces. Place on a plate or flat surface covered with three paper towels. Top with four more paper towels. Top with another flat plate or cutting board. Press down evenly and gently to squeeze out moisture. Throw away paper towels. Replace with fresh paper towels and press again (the more liquid you remove, the more sauce the tofu will absorb).
- Place tofu in a bowl just big enough to hold all eight pieces lying on their widest side without overlapping.
- In a small bowl, stir to thoroughly combine soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, and ginger into a marinade, and stir thoroughly. Pour over tofu. Carefully turn the tofu several times to coat well. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick sauté pan coated with cooking spray. Add broccoli and sauté for about 5 minutes, until it turns bright green and becomes tender and crispy. Remove broccoli from pan and set aside.
- Heat a grill pan or flat sauté pan over high heat. Drain tofu, reserving marinade. Place on grill pan to heat for about 3 minutes. Gently turn. Heat the second side for 3 minutes.
- At the same time, in the sauté pan over medium-low heat, warm the peanut oil, crushed red pepper, and garlic until the garlic softens and begins to turn brown, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add broccoli and reserved marinade, and gently mix until well-coated.
- Place two slices of tofu on each plate with one-quarter of the broccoli and marinade mixture. Sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional).
Tip: Delicious served on top of brown rice or Asian-style noodles (soba or udon).
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 183, Total fat 11 g, Saturated fat 2 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 341 mg, Total fiber 4 g, Protein 14 g, Carbohydrates 13 g, Potassium 556 mg