Brussels Sprout Slaw with Cranberries and Walnuts
After 4 weeks, 16 recipes, and over 1300 votes, we finally have a winning dish. It was a close race, but Brussels sprouts came out ahead, beating classic comfort food, Veggie Lasagna, 53% to 47%.
PREP TIME :
- 3/4 lb. Brussels sprouts
- 1 Fuji or Gala apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice (see Notes)
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Trim bottom from sprouts and remove any loose or bruised leaves. Place shredding disk or fine slicing disk in food processor, and using feeder tube, gradually shred Brussels sprouts; there will be about 4½ cups (see Notes). Transfer shredded sprouts to mixing bowl.
- Add apple, cranberries, walnuts, salt, pepper and lemon juice and stir with a fork for 1 minute to combine well. Add oil and stir well. Cover and refrigerate slaw for 3 hours to overnight. Re-stir before serving. This slaw is best served within 24 hours.
If your food processor does not have a shredding dish, quarter Brussels sprouts vertically and place in food processor fitted with a chopping blade. Pulse until sprouts are finely chopped, stopping several times to scrape down bowl. Take care not to leave big chunks or to turn sprouts into mush.
Nutrition (per serving):
120 calories, 7 g fat (1 g sat fat), 16 g carbohydrates, 3 g protein, 3 g fiber, 130 mg sodium.