Beet Salad with Peaches and Walnuts
Take advantage of the last of summer’s sweet produce with this vibrant salad. Gem-colored peaches and beets boast healthy amounts of fiber, potassium and vitamin C as well as anthocyanins and polyphenols.
PREP TIME :
- 2 medium cooked red beets, sliced 1/4-inch
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. minced mint leaves (reserve a few sprigs for garnish)
- 1 tsp. minced thyme (reserve a few sprigs for garnish)
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. honey
- 2 cups sliced peaches without skin (fresh or frozen)
- 1/3 cup toasted chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese (or feta)
- On platter arrange beets and tomato slices. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In large mixing bowl combine shallot, mint, thyme, oil, lemon juice and honey. Stir well to combine. Add peach wedges and gently toss to coat.
- Arrange peach mixture over beets and tomatoes. Top salad with walnuts and cheese, garnish with mint and thyme sprigs and serve.
Nutrition (per serving):
197 calories, 11 g total fat (2.5 g saturated fat),
22 g carbohydrate, 6 g protein, 2 g dietary fiber, 58 mg sodium.