Cauliflower With Whole Wheat Breadcrumbs
This side dish is rich in flavor, but low in calories.
PREP TIME :
- 1 slice whole- wheat bread
- 1 medium cauliflower head, rinsed
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp soft tub margarine
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- Place the bread in a toaster oven on very low heat.Toast as long as possible without burning (about 5 minutes).
- While bread toasts, trim leaves and stalks from cauliflower. Cut into individual florets.
- Place 1 inch of water in a 4-quart pot with lid. Insert steamer basket, and place cauliflower in basket. Sprinkle with salt. Cover. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium. Steam for 5–8 minutes, until easily pierced with a sharp knife. Do not overcook.
- While cauliflower steams, break toast into small pieces. Pulse toast in food processor until medium-sized crumbs form. Tip: If you don’t have a food processor, break or crush the toasted bread into finer pieces or buy whole-wheat breadcrumbs and use 2 tablespoons.
- When cauliflower is done, remove from heat. Melt margarine in another pan over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and pepper. Cook and stir, about 5 minutes. Add cauliflower to pan with breadcrumbs. Toss until well coated. Serve immediately.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 45, Total fat 4 g, Saturated fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 120 mg, Total fiber 2 g, Protein 2 g, Carbohydrates 5 g, Potassium 152 mg.