Cranberry Flax Pumpkin Bread
Pumpkin’s potent beta-carotene and cranberries’ anthocyanin phytochemicals are blended together with flaxseed’s protective omega-3 fats.
PREP TIME :
- Canola oil spray
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup 100 percent apple juice
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with canola oil spray and set aside.
- In large bowl, combine whole-wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, flaxseed, sugar, baking soda and salt and set aside. In medium bowl, lightly beat eggs.
- Whisk in pumpkin, canola oil, applesauce, apple juice, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Stir in dried cranberries.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, mixing until all dry ingredients are incorporated into batter.
- Do not beat or overmix. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove bread from pan and continue cooling on rack.
Nutrition (per serving):
206 calories, 8 g total fat ( 33 g carbohydrates, 4 g protein, 3 g dietary fiber, 221 mg sodium.