Creamy Quinoa Oat Porridge
This hearty porridge combines oats and quinoa for a healthy breakfast boost of fiber and protein. Diets that include fiber-rich whole grains lower risk of colorectal cancer and may promote healthy blood cholesterol levels.
PREP TIME :
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1¾ cups water
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup quick cooking steel-cut oats
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple, cored, peeled, and shredded
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. dark maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp. ground flaxseed, optional
- In medium saucepan, combine quinoa with 1¾ cups water, and salt.
- Cover, bring to a boil, then simmer gently for 15 minutes. Off heat, let quinoa stand for 5 minutes. Set 1/2 cup of quinoa aside. Transfer the rest to a container and refrigerate for up to 3 days for another use.
- In medium saucepan, combine almond milk, cider and 1/2 cup water, and bring to a boil. Immediately stir in oats, and add cooked quinoa, grated apple and cinnamon. Simmer gently for 15 minutes, stirring several times during the first 10 minutes, then frequently during the final 5 minutes to minimize sticking.
- Divide porridge among 3 bowls. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of maple syrup over each serving.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of flax seed over each serving, if using. Serve immediately.
Nutrition (per serving):
261 calories, 5 g total fat (<1 g saturated fat), 47 g carbohydrate
8 g protein, 3 g dietary fiber, 172 mg sodium.