Chickpea Crepes with Spinach Mushroom Pesto
Whip up a Mother’s Day meal that will really impress with these light and flavorful crepes. What’s the secret behind these thin pancakes?
PREP TIME :
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. soft buttery spread, if using skillet
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 6 oz. Cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 (5 oz. box) baby spinach
- 2 Tbsp. prepared pesto
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In medium bowl, whisk chickpea flour, oil, rosemary and salt with 1 cup water until mixture is smooth. Let batter sit 20-30 minutes to thicken slightly. Before cooking stir to loosen any clumps.
- For crepes, set non-stick crepe pan over medium-high heat until drops of water flicked into pan ball up and bounce. With one hand, hold pan up at 45-degree angle. Pour 1/4 cup batter near top of pan, rotating pan as you pour so batter flows into 6-7-inch round crepe. Cook until crepe is golden on bottom, 1-2 minutes. Using large spatula, turn and cook until crepe is lightly golden on bottom, about 30 seconds. Transfer crepe to large plate. Cover each crepe with wax paper. If using a regular skillet instead of non-stick crepe pan, coat hot pan with 1/2 teaspoon spread before first crepe and repeat as needed between crepes.
- If not filling crepes immediately, cool to room temperature and cover plate with plastic wrap. Hold crepes at room temperature for up to 8 hours, refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- For filling, in medium skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add red peppers and cook, stirring, until onions are translucent, 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture looks wet, 5-6 minutes. Add spinach, stirring to wilt leaves.
- Cook, stirring often, until most of moisture has evaporated and filling is tender, 8 minutes.
If crepes have been made ahead, wrap them in foil and warm in 250 degrees oven, 20 minutes.
- To assemble crepes, in small bowl, mix pesto with 2 tablespoons warm water. Stir pesto into filling. Arrange a crepe on a plate. Spoon one-sixth filling over bottom half of each crepe, then gently fold crepe in half over filling.
- Repeat with remaining crepes and filling. If desired, garnish plate with some mesclun leaves and strawberries. Serve immediately.
Nutrition (per serving):
170 calories, 11 g total fat (1.5 g saturated fat),
15 g carbohydrate, 6 g protein, 4 g dietary fiber, 400 mg sodium.