Crunchy Chicken Fingers With Tangy Dipping Sauce
Try this family classic, made healthier with baked chicken and a yummy dipping
PREP TIME :
- ½ tsp reduced-sodium crab seasoning (or substitute ¼ tsp paprika and ¼ tsp garlic powder for a sodium-free alternative)
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp whole-wheat flour
- 12 oz boneless, skinless, chicken breast, cut into 12 strips
- 2 Tbsp fat-free (skim) milk
- 1 egg white (or substitute 2
- Tbsp egg white substitute)
- 3 C corn flake cereal, crushed
- ¼ C ketchup
- ¼ C 100 percent orange juice
- ¼ C balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp deli mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 ºF.
- Mix crab seasoning, pepper, and flour in a bowl.
- Add chicken strips, and toss well to coat evenly.
- Combine milk and egg white in a separate bowl, and mix well. Pour over seasoned chicken, and toss well.
- Place crushed cornflakes in a separate bowl. Dip each chicken strip into the cornflakes, and coat well. Place strips on a nonstick baking sheet. (Discard any leftover corn flake mixture.)
- Bake chicken strips for 10–12 minutes (to a minimum internal temperature of 165 ºF).
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by combining all ingredients and mixing well.
- Serve three chicken strips with ¼ cup dipping sauce.
- Younger children can crush the cornflakes. Older children can dredge the chicken through the coating and mix the tangy sauce.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 248, Total fat 2 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 47 mg, Sodium 422 mg, Total fiber 1 g, Protein 20 gm, Carbohydrates 36 g, Potassium 303 mg, Vitamin A 4%, Vitamin C 16%, Calcium 6%, Iron 4%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.