Date, Walnut and Dark Chocolate Cookies (Vegan)
Enjoy this sweet treat with your loved ones during the holiday season, pack them into a lunch box any day, or serve them with fresh fruit or sorbet the next time you host dinner guests.
PREP TIME :
- 1/2 cup soft dairy-free margarine spread, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1-1/2 tsp. egg replacer**
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup diced, pitted Medjool dates
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or broken dark chocolate pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Mix together margarine, vanilla, and honey in a small bowl.
- Combine the whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, and egg replacer in a separate bowl.
- Add the flour mixture to the margarine mixture and mix well to form a crumbly dough.
- Stir in the walnuts, dates, and chocolate chips.
- Shape the dough into walnut-sized balls and place about 3 inches apart on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
*Note: These cookies store very well in an airtight container in the freezer.
**Note: Vegan egg replacers can be found in powdered form. Examples include Ener-G, VeganEgg, Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer. You can substitute 1 whole egg if not using egg replacers.
Nutrition (per serving):
122 calories, 6 g total fat (1 g. saturated fat), 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g protein, 2 g dietary fiber, 82 mg sodium.