Garlic Mashed Potatoes
No added fat or salt is used (or needed!) in this tasty potato dish.
PREP TIME :
- 1 lb potatoes (about 2 large), peeled and quartered
- 2 C low-fat (1 percent) milk
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ tsp white pepper
- Cook potatoes, covered, in a small amount of boiling water for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat. Drain and recover.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over low heat, cook garlic in milk until garlic is soft, about 30 minutes.
- Add milk-garlic mixture and white pepper to potatoes. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed or mash with a potato masher until smooth.
Tip: You also can make this in your microwave! Scrub whole potatoes, pat dry, and prick with a fork. Cook potatoes, uncovered, on 100 percent power (high) until tender, about 12 minutes, turning potatoes over once. Let stand 5 minutes, then peel and quarter. Meanwhile, in a 4-cup glass measuring cup, combine milk and garlic, and cook, uncovered, on 50 percent power (medium) until garlic is soft, about 4 minutes. Mix and mash as directed in step 3 of the regular instructions.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 141, Total fat 1 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 2 mg, Sodium 70 mg.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.