Garlicky Pumpkin Seed Snack Mix
Give your toasted pumpkin seeds a kick this Halloween with this healthy spice mix. Pumpkin seeds are an excellent source of magnesium and also supply some protein and fiber.
PREP TIME :
- Canola oil spray
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds (scooped whole from the pumpkin then washed and dried and pre-toasted for 30 minutes in a 300-degree oven; or hulled, prepackaged from the grocery store)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. water
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat baking sheet with canola oil spray. Either pre-toast whole seeds from pumpkin (as noted above), or spread hulled seeds on pan in one layer and toast in oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine garlic powder and cumin. Thoroughly whisk in Worcestershire sauce and water.
- Remove toasted seeds from oven. When cool, add to bowl with sauce along with walnuts.
- Toss to coat evenly.
- Spread seeds and nuts on baking sheet in one layer. Bake about 10 minutes, until crisp.
- Remove from oven, let cool and gently loosen from pan with end of metal spatula. Store in a tightly covered container.
Nutrition (per serving):
140 calories, 12 g total fat (2 g saturated fat),
4 g carbohydrates, 8 g protein, 2 g dietary fiber, 120 mg sodium.