Tilapia with Chunky Tomato Sauce
Take the plunge into seafood with this light recipe for tilapia with tomato salsa. A mild, white fish, tilapia is available year-round and provides lean protein, vitamin B12 and selenium. The tomato salsa features garlic, red pepper, and a fresh squeeze of lemon to bring out the flavor of the fish without salt.
PREP TIME :
- 2 (14-oz) cans no salt added diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions, including green stems
- 1/2 tsp. sugar (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil (2 tsp. dried may be substituted)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper (or to taste)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. tilapia fillets
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Place all ingredients, except oil, fish and parsley in a bowl and gently combine well.
- In large skillet heat oil over medium high heat. Place fish in skillet. Top with tomato mixture, cover and simmer over medium low heat for 8-10 minutes or until fish is cooked.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
Nutrition (per serving):
175 calories, 6 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 10 g carbohydrate,
22 g protein, 2 g dietary fiber, 102 mg sodium.