Good for You Cornbread
Try this healthier version of a classic comfort food with soups, salads, or the
Cornbread-Crusted Turkey or Three-Bean Chili With Chunky Tomatoes
PREP TIME :
- 1 C cornmeal
- 1 C flour
- ¼ C sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 C low-fat (1 percent) buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- ¼ C soft tub margarine
- 1 tsp vegetable oil (to grease baking pan)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk and egg. Beat lightly.
- Slowly add buttermilk and egg mixture to dry ingredients.
- Add margarine and mix by hand or with mixer for 1 minute.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes in an 8- by 8-inch, greased baking dish. Cool. Cut into 10 squares.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 178, Total fat 6 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 22 mg, Sodium 94 mg, Total fiber 1 g, Protein 4 g, Carbohydrates 27 g, Potassium 132 mg