Herbed Spanish Omelet
Eggs are an inexpensive protein source, and only contain about 70-80 calories each. This omelet features potatoes, fresh, spring herbs and red onions.
PREP TIME :
- 1 lb. potatoes, peeled and diced or shredded
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large whole eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil and chives
- Salt to taste
- Sprigs of fresh herbs to garnish (optional)
- Place potatoes in large pan. Cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and cook uncovered for 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender, not mushy. Drain well.
- Heat oil in deep 10-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add potatoes and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Combine whole eggs and egg whites. Stir in parsley, basil and chives. Season with salt if desired. Pour mixture over potatoes in hot skillet. Reduce heat and cook uncovered for about 10 minutes or until bottom of omelet is golden.
- If desired, brown top under toaster oven. Garnish with fresh herb sprigs. Serve immediately.
Nutrition (per serving):
260 calories, 12 g total fat (2 g saturated fat), 28 g carbohydrate,
11 g protein, 2 g dietary fiber, 106 mg sodium.