1. Obesity is gaining momentum as a global epidemic. In the next 5 years, the global population of overweight or obese humans is likely to hit the 2.6 billion mark.
2. A staggering 37% of the US population is technically obese. Another 33% are overweight and a borderline case of obesity.
3. Obesity causes certain types of cancer. It is set to overtake smoking as a leading cause of cancer in the next 10 or fewer years.
4. Obesity interferes with your brain activity. The human brain delays food fulfillment signals in cases of obesity. The result is eating beyond fulfillment and further obesity.
5. Unfortunately, just under 20% of the dieters are successful in retaining the weight loss after two years.
6. Intermittent fasting is a proven technique for healthy weight loss management. Cutting calorie intake to 800 calories twice a week is a sure way to lose substantial visceral fat.
7. Gastric tract surgery (Bariatric surgery) is a viable and recommended option for people suffering from severe obesity (BMI over 40)
8. Babies born to obese mothers are more likely to be obese in their future lives.
9. Geography has a linkage with obesity. Southern US has the highest obesity rate of 35% against the US national average of 20%.
10. Gender plays a role in obesity. Over 40% of the US women (over 50) are obese as compared to 35% of the US men.