There’s no better way to warm up on a cold day than with this hearty, delicious
PREP TIME :
1 HOUR 30 MINS
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 medium stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 C dry lentils
- 1 can (14½ oz) crushed tomatoes
- 2 C vegetable broth
- 6½ C water
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, and onion; cook and stir until the onion is tender.
- Stir in garlic, oregano, basil, and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in lentils and tomatoes, then add the vegetable broth and water.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 1 hour or until lentils are tender.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator and reheat on the stove or in the microwave. The soup will taste better the next day!
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 151, Total fat 3 g, Saturated fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 248 mg, Total fiber 7 g, Protein 9 g, Carbohydrates 24 g, Potassium 503 mg
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.