Mexican Pozole Mexican Beef and Hominy Stew
A deliciously hearty Mexican stew.
PREP TIME :
- 2 lbs lean beef (eye round roast), cubed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ C cilantro
- 1 can (15 oz) stewed tomatoes
- ⅓ can (2 oz) no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 can (1 lb, 13 oz) hominy
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Gently blot beef cubes dry with paper towels, carefully place them in the pot, and sauté.
- Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper, cilantro, and enough water to cover the meat. Cover pot and cook over low heat until meat is tender.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Continue cooking for about 20 minutes.
- Add hominy and continue cooking for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, over low heat. If too thick, add water for desired consistency.
Tip: As a variation, boneless, skinless chicken breasts may be used instead of beef cubes.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 253, Total fat 10 g, Saturated fat 3 g, Cholesterol 52 mg, Sodium 425 mg, Total fiber 4 g, Protein 22 g, Carbohydrates 19 g, Potassium 485 mg
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.