A cholesterol-free version of this classic Italian vegetable soup—brimming with
fiber-rich beans, peas, and carrots.
PREP TIME :
- ¼ C olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced, or ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- 1⅓ C coarsely chopped onion
- 1½ C coarsely chopped celery and leaves
- 1 can (6 oz) no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 C sliced carrots, fresh or frozen
- 4¾ C shredded cabbage
- 1 can (1 lb) no-salt-added tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (15½ oz) low-sodium red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1½ C frozen peas
- 1½ C fresh green beans
- Dash hot sauce
- 11 C water
- 2 C spaghetti, finely broken, uncooked
- Heat oil in a 4-quart saucepan.
- Add garlic, onion, and celery and sauté about 5 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except spaghetti, and stir until ingredients are well mixed.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add uncooked spaghetti and simmer 2-3 minutes only. Serve warm.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 153, Total fat 4 g, Saturated fat 0 less than 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 191 mg
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.