Quick Eight-Vegetable Soup
If you’re rushing around this week, like we are to get ready for our annual research conference, dinner may be the last thing you have time for. Fear not…we have a healthy dish you can throw together in a snap.
PREP TIME :
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small chopped onion
- 4 cups vegetable broth or fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup frozen baby lima beans
- 1 (15-oz.) can no salt added black, Great Northern, or navy beans
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 cup frozen tri-colored bell peppers
- 2 tsp. dried oregano or thyme
- Pinch of dried red pepper flakes
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth and bring liquid to boil. Add lima beans, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add canned beans, mixed vegetables, peppers, oregano and pepper flakes and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Add broccoli, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Add salt to taste. This soup keeps, covered in refrigerator, for 3 days. Reheat in covered pot over medium heat.
- To serve, divide soup among deep bowls. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, or pass it separately at table.
Nutrition (per serving):
298 calories, 8 g total fat (2 g saturated fat),
43 g carbohydrate, 17 g protein, 13 g dietary fiber, 237 mg sodium.