Warm up on a cool evening with this spiced-up vegetarian chili. Black beans fill you up and keep you satisfied thanks to their dietary fiber and high protein. Red sweet peppers and onion add depth and flavor to this comforting dish.
PREP TIME :
- 1 Tbsp. olive or canola oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded, deribbed, and minced
- 1 Tbsp. ground chili powder
- 1½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 (14½-oz.) can no-salt added diced tomatoes in juice
- 1½ Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 (15-oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Chopped scallions, for garnish
- Reduced-fat sour cream, for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in large saucepan. Add onions, sweet pepper, garlic and jalapeño pepper and cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, and oregano and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add canned tomatoes, tomato paste and 1 cup water, then beans and salt. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Serve garnished with chopped cilantro, scallions and a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
Nutrition (per serving):
214 calories, 5 g total fat <1 g saturated fat), 35 g carbohydrate,
11 g protein, 12 g dietary fiber, 367 mg sodium.