Quinoa with Cauliflower and Broccoli
If you’re looking to mix up your grains, look no further than quinoa. This seed can be cooked and used in place of grains and contains all essential amino acids, making it a good source of protein.
PREP TIME :
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 cup chopped onion, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped medium (1 tsp. dried may be substituted)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano, chopped medium (1 tsp. dried may be substituted)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In skillet, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, 1/2 cup onion and garlic. Sauté 5 minutes until vegetables start to soften. Stir in herbs and sauté 2 minutes. Remove from stovetop and set aside.
- In strainer, place quinoa and rinse thoroughly with cold water. Using your hand, swish quinoa under running water for 2 minutes to remove bitter natural coating. Drain and set aside.
- In medium saucepan, heat remaining teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add remaining onion. Sauté about 3 to 4 minutes. Add broth and quinoa. Increase heat to bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Gently stir in vegetable mixture and combine well with quinoa. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
Nutrition (per serving):
120 calories, 3.5 g total fat (0 g saturated fat),
20 g carbohydrate, 5 g protein, 4 g dietary fiber, 50 mg sodium.