Raspberry Almond Muesli
A combination of raw rolled oats, fruits, nuts and buttermilk, this traditional Swiss dish is served cold and kick-starts your day with plenty of nutritious fiber.
PREP TIME :
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats (not instant)
- 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- Pinch of salt
- 1 container (6 oz.) fresh raspberries, divided
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. reduced-fat unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 Tbsp. sliced almonds, divided
- 1 cup buttermilk, light or regular
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries, for garnish
- 8 fresh blackberries, for garnish
- In medium mixing bowl, combine oats, flax and salt.
- In smaller bowl, use fork to coarsely mash 1 cup of raspberries with honey and set aside. Set remaining raspberries aside for garnish.
- In dry medium skillet over medium-high heat, toast coconut, stirring constantly with wooden spatula, until it is golden brown in places and still pale in others, about 2 minutes. Immediately add toasted coconut to oats. Wipe out pan.
- Return skillet to heat, add almonds, and toast, stirring constantly, until smaller bits are golden brown, about 4 minutes. Immediately spread nuts on plate. Measure and set aside 1 tablespoon toasted almonds and add rest to oat mixture.
- To oats, add buttermilk and vanilla and mix until well combined. Add raspberry mixture and stir to combine thoroughly. Divide muesli between two bowls or decorative glass dessert dishes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 to 12 hours.
- To serve, arrange remaining raspberries, blueberries and blackberries over top of muesli. Sprinkle on remaining toasted almonds. Serve chilled muesli immediately.
Nutrition (per serving):
411 calories, 15 g total fat (4.5 g saturated fat),
61 g carbohydrate, 14 g protein, 15 g dietary fiber, 281 mg sodium