Rosemary Garlic Flatbread
This roasted garlic and rosemary flatbread is savory, fluffy, and nutritious – and naturally gluten-free, with only a few ingredients. The recipe uses a couple of less common types of flour – including sorghum and chickpea, which boost the health-benefits and flavor of the dish.
PREP TIME :
- 2 cups chickpea flour
- 3/4 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup golden flaxseed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 small head of garlic
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 4-5 sprigs of fresh rosemary, chopped (or 1 Tbsp dried)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 2. Slice off the top of the garlic head to expose the garlic cloves, wrap in foil and roast in the oven for about 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix flours, flaxseed, salt, zest, salt, and rosemary.
- Add lemon juice and water and whisk to combine. The batter should be thick but not stiff; do not overmix (a few small lumps are fine).
- If possible, let the mix sit for at least 30 minutes (the longer the better).
- Remove garlic from oven when cloves are fork-soft and squeeze out the cloves. Roughly chop them (large pieces are fine) and stir them into the batter.
- 10 minutes before you are ready to cook the flatbread, drizzle 1 Tbsp olive oil in your 12-inch skillet and set it in the oven to heat up.
- Add about 1/2 – 1/3 of the batter to the pan (depending on how thick you want your flatbread) and tilt to coat evenly.
- Place the pan in the oven to cook the flatbread for 10-15 minutes, or until you can easily lift it from the pan with a spatula and the bottom is getting golden brown.
- Turn the oven to broil and broil for 2-3 minutes, or just until the top starts to brown.
- Remove from oven, slide onto a cutting board, and slice into wedges.
- Repeat with the 2nd batch of the batter.
Nutrition (per serving):
180 calories, 6 g total fat (<1 g saturated fat), 25 g carbohydrate, 5 g dietary fiber, 8 g protein, 310 mg sodium.