Savory Brown Rice
This savory, rich side dish is great with steak, pork, and chicken dishes
PREP TIME :
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 C onion, chopped
- 1 C portabella mushrooms, rinsed, halved, then thinly sliced
- ½ C celery, rinsed and finely diced
- 2 C low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 C instant brown rice, uncooked
- ¼ C dried parsley
- ¼ tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- In a 4-quart saucepan, warm olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, mushrooms, and celery. Cook and stir for 5–7 minutes, until all vegetables are soft, but not brown.
- Stir in the chicken broth, brown rice, parsley, salt, and pepper. Cover. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cook according to brown rice package directions, about 5–10 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid. Fluff with a fork. Serve immediately.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 246, Total fat 5 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 2 mg, Sodium 221 mg, Total fiber 4 g, Protein 7 g, Carbohydrates 43 g, Potassium 314 mg