Smashed Chickpea & Avocado Lettuce Wraps
Opting for meatless meals a few times a week is one way to eat more plant foods and cut down on processed meat — both excellent ways to lower your risk for cancer.
PREP TIME :
- 1 ripe medium avocado
- 1 15.5 oz can reduced sodium garbanzo beans
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 Boston lettuce leaves
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 2 Tbsp feta cheese
- Drain garbanzo beans and add to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Mash to a smoother consistency (more or less depending on how chunky you’d like it). Add the avocado and lemon juice and continue mashing until well mixed. Stir in cilantro, red onion, celery, cumin, salt and pepper. Top lettuce cups with sliced tomatoes (and any other toppings, e.g. cucumbers, bell pepper, jalapenos or sprouts). Divide chickpea mixture into 4-5 portions and spoon onto lettuce cups*. Top with a sprinkle of feta cheese.
- *For a heartier version, serve on whole wheat bread instead of lettuce cups.
Nutrition (per serving):
200 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 24 g carbohydrate, 8 g protein, 9 g dietary fiber, 218 mg sodium.