Summer Squash Ribbons with Lemon Herb Dressing
These pretty squash ribbons are easy to make and simply flavored with aromatic herbs and zesty lemon. Summer squash are low in calories and rich in cancer-protective fiber and nutrients including lutein and zeaxanthin.
PREP TIME :
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 medium lemon)
- 1 tsp. lemon zest (about 1/2 medium lemon)
- 2 Tbsp. coarsely chopped fresh oregano leaves*
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme*
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium-large yellow straightneck summer squash
- 1 medium-large zucchini
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, optional
- In large bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, oregano and thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in onion.
- Cut stem end from squash. Holding stem end of squash and leaning other end on cutting board at an angle, use vegetable peeler to shave squash lengthwise to create ribbons. Stop peeling at seed core. Stack ribbons and cut in half crosswise. Add ribbons to bowl and stir, separating ribbons to cover with dressing. Rotate squash to opposite side and repeat peeling, cutting and mixing with dressing. Peel ribbons from remaining two sides of squash and repeat cutting and mixing with dressing. Repeat with zucchini. Save seed cores in refrigerator for salad, stir-fries, soup or stock.
- Transfer squash salad to serving dish and top with feta, if using. Salad may be chilled and served later same day.
- * Use combination of favorite fresh herbs.
Nutrition (per serving):
82 calories, 7 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g protein, 2 g dietary fiber, 7 mg sodium. (nutritional information does not include cheese)