Southwest Vegetable Frittata
If you’re in a breakfast rut, this recipe is the perfect start to help you eat healthier all day long. A delicious combination of vegetables, beans and eggs follow our cancer-protective proportions of plant and animal foods. Seasoned with salsa, cilantro and topped with cool avocado, this frittata is sure to make it into your morning routine.
PREP TIME :
- 1 Tbsp. canola or olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 – 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely minced
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 large eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup grated reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa or pico de gallo
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add red pepper, onion, jalapeño and black beans and sauté 5 minutes, being careful not to mash beans. With wooden spoon, stir vegetables and beans until evenly distributed.
- Beat eggs in bowl and pour eggs over top.
- Spread with spoon to evenly distribute across vegetables and beans. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat until eggs are just set, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and sprinkle with cheese. Cover and allow cheese to melt for just a minute. Gently slide the frittata onto plate or platter.
- Top with avocado slices and salsa. If desired, garnish with fresh cilantro.