Southwestern Bean Salad
This week’s recipe comes from our healthy kids program, created to help instill the importance of nutrition in a younger generation. Protein helps maintain a strong immune system, promotes cell growth and repair, and aids in muscle health.
PREP TIME :
- 1 can (about 15 oz.) no-salt-added black beans*
- 1 cup no-salt-added canned corn kernels
- 1 cup chopped green, red or yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 3/4 cup mild tomato salsa
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
*If you don’t have low-sodium beans, rinse regular beans thoroughly in a colander and drain before using to significantly decrease sodium content.
- Open can of beans and can of corn. Over the sink, empty both cans into a strainer and rinse thoroughly.
- Let water drain from strainer.
- Put the beans and corn into a large salad bowl.
- Add chopped pepper, chopped carrots, olive oil and salsa.
- Mix together with a large spoon and serve.
Nutrition (per serving):
125 calories, 3 g fat (<1 g sat fat), 22 g carbohydrates, 6 g protein, 5 g fiber, 211 mg sodium.