Mussels are one of those dishes that seem difficult to make, but are really quite simple. Steaming them in a flavorful broth only takes a few minutes.
PREP TIME :
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, cut lengthwise into thin slices
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup fat-free reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 lbs. mussels
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chopped flatleaf parsley
- In large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often. Pour in broth and cook for 3 minutes.
- While onions cook, in colander rinse mussels under cold running water, and set aside to drain.
- Add lemon juice to pot. Heap in mussels. Sprinkle tomato into pot. Cover pot and steam for 5 to 6 minutes, or until mussels are opened. Immediately scoop mussels into big serving bowl, including onions and tomatoes from pot. Sprinkle on parsley. Divide liquid from pot between two bowls. Serve mussels with liquid for dipping.
Nutrition (per serving):
265 calories, 11 g total fat (<2 g saturated fat),
19 g carbohydrate, 23 g protein, 2 g dietary fiber, 599 mg sodium.