A citrus taste, combined with almonds, celery, and onions—but no added
salt—makes this side dish a new classic . . . Try it with fish!
PREP TIME :
- 1½ Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1¼ C celery, with leaves, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1½ C onion, finely chopped
- 1 C water
- ½ C orange juice
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Dash hot sauce
- 1 C instant white rice, uncooked
- ¼ C slivered almonds
- Heat oil in a medium-sized saucepan. Add celery and onion, and sauté until tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add water, juices, and hot sauce. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Stir in rice, and bring back to a boil. Cover and turn heat down to simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 5–10 minutes.
- Stir in almonds. Serve immediately.
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories 276, Total fat 6 g, Saturated fat 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 52 mg, Total fiber 5 g, Protein 7 g, Carbohydrates 50 g, Potassium 406 mg